Ideal for handheld photography
The lens is equipped with Sigma's own unique OS (Optical Stabilizer) function. This system offers the use of shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower than would otherwise be possible, making telephoto shooting easy. Mode 1 is ideal for general photography and Mode 2 is designed for panning subjects such as racing cars. For Sony and Pentax mount, the built-in OS function of this lens can be used even if the camera body is equipped with an anti-shake function. As compensation for camera shake is visible in the view finder, the photographer can easily check for accurate focus and ensure there is no subject movement.
* For Pentax and Sony mounts, it is not possible to use the AF and the built-in OS function of this lens when attaching it to film SLR cameras as well as Pentax *ist series and K100D.
* When using the OS function of a lens with a camera which incorporates a stabilizer unit, please turn the camera's stabilizer unit off.
* For Nikon and Canon mounts, the Optical Stabilizer (OS) function will not work with film SLR cameras except Nikon F6 and Canon EOS-1V.
This lens has a compact construction with a diameter of 86.4mm(3.4in.), overall length of 197.6mm(7.8in.) and weight of 1,430g(50.4oz.). This compact and lightweight construction makes it ideal for many types of photography such as portraits, landscapes and sports.
Excellent Optical Performance
This lens features two FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements, which have the performance equal to fluorite glass, and three SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements providing excellent correction of color aberration. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and ensures high contrast images. High image quality is assured throughout the entire zoom range.
* FLD glass is the highest level low dispersion glass available with extremely high light transmission. This optical glass has a performance equal to fluorite glass which has a low refractive index and low dispersion compared to current optical glass. It also benefits from high anomalous dispersion.
These characteristics give excellent correction for residual chromatic aberration (secondary spectrum) which cannot be corrected by ordinary optical glass and ensures high definition and high contrast images.
High speed and quiet AF
The lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), ensuring high speed and quiet AF as well as full time manual focus capability.
* For Sony and Pentax mount, AF will not function with DSLR cameras that do not support HSM.
Inner focusing and inner zooming system
The lens design incorporates an inner focusing and inner zooming systems. The overall length of the lens does not change during focusing and zooming, ensuring convenient handling. The inner focusing system also eliminates front lens rotation, making the lens particularly suitable for using circular polarizing filters and the supplied petal-type lens hood. A removable tripod collar (TS-21) is included as a standard component.
Close focusing capability
This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 140cm(55.1in.) throughout the entire zoom range and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:8.
This lens has a rounded 9 blade diaphragm which creates an attractive bokeh to the out of focus area.
Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens
Front and rear caps
Hood with APS-C extender